Thursday, January 22, 2009

A name with a face.......er, voice actually...

I've been a radio personality in the Lansing market for nearly 7 years. I've done different formats: Adult Contemporary, Contemporary Hit Radio (or Top 40, if you prefer), a little bit of Country, a little bit of Classic Hits, and the latest; Mainstream Rock.

I've done the overnight shift, afternoon drive, and have played with morning drive, mid days and evenings.

As a result of talking on the radio for a living, I have met all kinds of people. Naturally, I've had an assortment of phone conversations with people too.

It never ceases to amaze me how astonished the average person is when meeting (or just talking to) a local radio personality. (Although I can relate somewhat, I certainly have some personal favorites that I look up to.)

Some common things I have heard from people over the years:

"Wow! You're like, a celebrity!" To which I reply, "Yes, LIKE a celebrity."

"Do you know Tim Barron?" Sure

"Is Domingo your real name?" Which isn't a bad question. I've just heard it a bazillion times. The answer is yes, by the way.

At ANY station event:
"Which one are you?" Manners.... get some. (ie. "Hi, I'm_______. Who are you?")

"Where's Mojo?"

or better still.....

"Do you know Mojo?" I think so.....

Of course, there's always....
"Do you make a lot of money?" You'd be embarrased if you saw the paycheck

And the phone calls. Oh, the phone calls:

Me: Q106

Caller: Hey. You guys need to get a f***ing cement truck, dude. You guys would be TIGHT. Put a big 'ol f***ing Q106 on the side, and then just roll it around driving it through Jackson."

Me:
That sounds awesome, dude. Do you want to drive it?

Caller: I'll drive a cement truck, s***!

Me: I think that's an awesome idea.

Caller: Hell yeah! I will do that!

I pause now, to smile..... okay....

Of course, a lot of the generic, or repetitive comments come with the territory. (Even the wacky phone calls.) I've met a lot of really cool people. Some people have followed me from station to station. Some come faithfully to station events. Some call just to say thanks, or to express their love of the radio station. Some people have even become really good friends of mine.

It's nice meeting genuine people. It's nice to relate. It's nice to see people realize that I'm just a regular dude....trying to make a living too. (Although, I am here to entertain.) It's this type of interaction that endears people to the radio station even more. It makes people want to listen, it makes them want to help out a cause that we support. It makes them happy to know that we (being radio personalities) are "real".

Another thing I hear sometimes is, "It's nice to put a name with a face, or put a voice to a face."

That makes me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment