Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Dark Side of the Sun

(Laziness and a 4 day weekend has kept me from blogging about this promptly)

So, on Friday night I ventured to the Sun Theatre in Grand Ledge. (An awesome place to see a movie! Check them out here)

The Surrogate Band (a Pink Floyd cover band) was booked to perform the entire The Dark Side of the Moon.



Of course, they did this as The Wizard of Oz played on the movie screen.



This has been something that has been talked about for YEARS. In case you've never tried this, or if you have never heard of this- if you start The Wizard of Oz at the right moment, you can sync it with The Dark Side of the Moon and have a totally different experience of the film.

Certain songs and song lyrics stick out.

And who knows which is which, and who is who? from Us and Them is heard when the Good Witch of the North and the Wicked Witch of the West appear on screen together.

The intro to Money (cash register sounds) plays as the film switches from Black and White to Color.

The lunatic is on the grass from Brain Damage is playing as the Scarecrow makes his appearance.

I love Pink Floyd music. I enjoy every layer of of the songs; especially the lyrics. This is a fun experience. Of course, there are people (ahem) who enjoy Pink Floyd music with a little "herbal" refreshment. (The laser light show tends to help too).

However you enjoy Floyd, this is a trip that you should try, if only once.

That night at the Sun, the Theatre was PACKED; completely sold out (and them some). I was there for work, so I got in for free. There was no way I was getting a seat. It didn't matter because those who were standing made their own space regardless. People were dancing in the aisles, drinking booze (the Sun allowed it) and of course, enjoying the music. (The band sounded awesome!) Eventually, the smoke (I'm pretty sure it was all from the smoke machines) got very heavy and the projector quit working. It didn't matter. I looked around and saw everyone having a great time. I felt like I was at a huge house party.

Bravo to the Sun Theatre for pulling this off. Rocky Horror, anyone?



(I forgot to mention! Some asshole actually yelled out "Freebird!" I'm surprised there wasn't a riot!)

No comments:

Post a Comment