Sunday, February 15, 2009

Mötley Crüe

On the night of Friday the 13th, I did something I didn't think I'd ever do; I saw Mötley Crüe in concert. !!! (pause for reaction)

I actually enjoy the Crüe's music. It's something that has grown on me more and more throughout the years. I have Dr. Feelgood and Decade of Decadance on CD. However, I thought that they would have broken up or have died by now. Fortunately, that's not the case.... so I grabbed my girlfriend, climbed on board the Q 106 party bus, and headed to the Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids.

Theory of a Deadman and Hinder opened the show. TOAD was pretty good; a decent warm up band. Hinder was better. They were definitely the crowd pleasers. They sounded better than the last time I saw them (July 2007).

The Crüe wasted no time in taking the stage with a full scale assault.

Of course, I didn't see this Crüe:


It was this Crüe:


A sober, more mature (practically knocking on death's door) Mötley Crüe. Vince, who is heavier than he was in the Crüe's heyday, sounded okay. Granted, he's not the greatest singer....but he did his best to sing the songs as they were recorded. Nikki Sixx went from being a stringy heroin addict, to a buff rock and roll star. He did his part to keep the crowd cheering. Tommy Lee is still a f***ing idiot. Rather than play a drum solo, he talked to the crowd, sounding like a 17 year old black kid. He pointed out the "titties" in the crowd and dropped to his knees to pray, hoping God would hear all who were in the crowd. Mick Mars, who looked like he was living on borrowed time, played well....but I swear he had strings attached to him to hold him upright.

All in all, the Crüe played well. They seemed like they were having fun, and as a result- the crowd seemed to enjoy the show.

I had to wait until the very end for my favorite Mötley Crüe song (Home Sweet Home - their only encore) but it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment